q

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

An Open Challenge to Ken Avidor: Debate Me Online

In the comments section of this post, Ken Avidor made the following declaration:
"I have offered to debate PRT with local PRT proponents for years and they have declined every time"

And at least the first part of this statement is true: Ken has repeatedly made this same declaration indicating his desire to debate a PRT proponent.

So, naturally, I replied that I'd be more than willing to take him up on his offer, which I was sure he'd accept - if he's so sure about his stand on PRT that he's willing to debate a local Minneapolis PRT expert, why would he back away from debating an anonymous nobody from Buffalo, NY?

His response, from the same comment thread:

"My terms are a debate with a person who is a member of ATRA, CPRT, Taxi 2000 or an elected official who has authored legislation for and/or promoted PRT. I would prefer to debate that person in front of a live audience, but I will also debate that person live on radio or television. It's important that people get to ask questions."


Wow, you can tell this guy's a bicyclist by the way he backpedals! It took only a few hours to go from grandiose declaration to meek legalistic cop-out!

So, to summarize: he'll only debate certain PRT experts. And only in certain forums. And there has to be an audience. Well so much for PRT people "declining for years". I guess he doesn't consider me a PRT person, even though he's frequently awarded me the "gadgetbahner" and "PRTista" labels.

Are you afraid to debate me, Ken?

I am hereby challenging you, Ken, to an online debate on PRT. Here are my only terms: (a) it has to be an online forum, (b) and I'm not going to reveal my true identity.

That's it. You make up the rest. It can be on any online forum of your choosing. It can be live chat or email, whatever you choose.

I'll declare now that I have no financial or personal interest in PRT - my interest is purely academic. So there really is no reason for me to reveal myself. My entire history with PRT is documented using my current moniker, so that's all you need to know. If you doubt this, I will reveal myself to a trusted third party who can verify these claims.

What have you got to lose?

So that's my open challenge, Ken. Whenever you're ready for an online debate, leave me a comment here and I'll be sure to respond. And we can finally get this long-awaited debate started.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Mr_Grant said...

But that's so unfair to Kenmore! If you're anonymous, how will he dig up unrelated info on you and twist it into something 'scandalous'?

He won't be able to Photoshop your head into funny shapes. Don't you want to see yourself frenching Michele Bachmann?

I mean, come on-- it's his whole shtick.

7/25/2007 7:55 PM  
Blogger Mr_Grant said...

So has he taken you up on it yet? Has he, has he? If not, you can start your own talking point:

"I have offered to debate PRT with Ken Avidorm and he has declined every time."

7/27/2007 7:01 PM  
Blogger A Transportation Enthusiast said...

No, I'm still waiting for him to respond. And, yes, pretty soon I CAN start saying that!

7/27/2007 8:31 PM  
Blogger Mr_Grant said...

I doubt he'll ever agree. In effect he's already been debating us for ages, and we've kicked his backside -- also "every time."

7/30/2007 5:25 PM  
Blogger A Transportation Enthusiast said...

Still waiting for a response from Ken...

8/07/2007 12:00 PM  
Blogger Mr_Grant said...

HA! Now his excuse for not debating you is that you're a potty mouth. What a hypocrite.

8/15/2007 6:52 PM  
Blogger John Perry said...

Why should he waste his time debating with the likes of you?

8/18/2007 5:33 PM  
Blogger A Transportation Enthusiast said...

Maybe to defend his talking points? I'm attacking his entire campaign and calling it disinformation, so if he truly believed in what he was pushing, why wouldn't he debate me?

Only someone who is pushing lies would be so terrified at the thought of debating a nobody like me.

8/20/2007 9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home